Fowler is a virtual icon of British prescriptivism. But what about other languages? Do other languages – French, Dutch, Russian, Chinese … – have similar traditions of prescriptive writing on language for a general public?
- Newest from the blog, Michael Gove and grammar rules twitter.com/CarmenEbner/st… 2 weeks ago
- Literally, too big a fuss about nothing - the latest English Today interactive feature: wp.me/p1PkG7-2bN via @usageguides 2 weeks ago
- The question of the 'missing' second person plural pronoun in English twitter.com/guardian/statu… 1 month ago
- From the blog: How many English usage guides are there? Or Garner's "Timeline of Books of Usage": wp.me/p1PkG7-2bF @BryanAGarner 1 month ago
- Question for @BryanAGarner: Is "English As She Is Taught", by Caroline LeRow (New York, 1887) a usage guide? wp.me/p1PkG7-2bA 1 month ago