Fowler is a virtual icon of British prescriptivism. But what about other languages? Do other languages – French, Dutch, Russian, Chinese … – have similar traditions of prescriptive writing on language for a general public?
- 7 Questions to @JohnHMcWhorter . In 6 & 7 he discusses perceptions of nonstandard varieties & the Oxford comma goo.gl/vVXyi5 1 day ago
- New blog post on customer reviews of usage guides: Taggart vs. Pinker: and the winner is ...: wp.me/p1PkG7-2eW 6 days ago
- Stevens Pinker @sapinker on misguided prescriptivism and the success of The Sense of Style twitter.com/PaulGNance/sta… 1 week ago
- Missed Python for Lunch talk by Folgert Karsdorp at our digital humanities lecture series? Check this repository out goo.gl/CcZb4y 1 week ago
- The Guardian piece reveals Wordsworth was bad at punctuation! More fun facts in new book by @davcr Making a Point twitter.com/davcr/status/6… 1 week ago