Lynne Truss’s Eats Shoots and Leaves (2003) deals with punctuation, while Fowler’s Modern English Usage (1926 and later editions) deals with grammar and lexis. Do we find usage guides in fairly equal numbers for all linguistic fields, spelling, punctuation, grammar, pronunciation? Have there perhaps been any changes in focus in this respect over the years?
- Join us for the 11th Bridging the Unbridgeable Lunch Lecture, the topic on the 28 May is Croatian orthography wp.me/p1PkG7-2b0 1 week ago
- RT @The_Moki: #Fundilymundily the language of the UK general election 2015: wp.me/p1PkG7-2aI via @usageguides 1 week ago
- We are looking for a copy of Rosaline Masson's Use and Abuse of English. If you're able to help, let us know! wp.me/p1PkG7-2aD 2 weeks ago
- Language advice is historically found also in etiquette books. Read all about it in the feature by Paul Nance goo.gl/3u3ux5 2 weeks ago
- RT @The_Moki: Between You and Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen - a look inside of a punctuation usage guide wp.me/p1PkG7-29Y via @usa… 3 weeks ago