Lynne Truss’s Eats Shoots and Leaves (2003) deals with punctuation, while Fowler’s Modern English Usage (1926 and later editions) deals with grammar and lexis. Do we find usage guides in fairly equal numbers for all linguistic fields, spelling, punctuation, grammar, pronunciation? Have there perhaps been any changes in focus in this respect over the years?
- Happy English Grammar Day! We challenge you to make it a Correct-Your-English Language Day. Read all about it: goo.gl/Z3fjRd 4 days ago
- New blog post: Where does the term "usage guide" come from? wp.me/p1PkG7-291 6 days ago
- Does anyone know more about the authorship of Vulgarities of Speech Corrected? wp.me/p1PkG7-27d @worldcatorg 2 weeks ago
- From our blog: Let us have Correct English, even if it is for one day only, 23 April #EnglishLanguageDay wp.me/p1PkG7-270 2 weeks ago
- A fuss about the octopus: blog post by Inge Otto announcing our newest feature in English Today @CambUP_LangLing ow.ly/Li1PE 2 weeks ago