Lynne Truss’s Eats Shoots and Leaves (2003) deals with punctuation, while Fowler’s Modern English Usage (1926 and later editions) deals with grammar and lexis. Do we find usage guides in fairly equal numbers for all linguistic fields, spelling, punctuation, grammar, pronunciation? Have there perhaps been any changes in focus in this respect over the years?
- Join us for our new Lunch Lecture series on Digital Humanities this Thursday! @LUCL_Leiden @LeidenHum http://t.co/ozpsy97CSP 5 days ago
- RT @PaulGNance: @usageguides 1956 New Yorker cartoon on hypercorrection #language #prescriptivism http://t.co/8D8u8F5CyP 5 days ago
- Who is Kay Sayce, the author of What not to write? If you have any information, do let us know! wp.me/p1PkG7-2dI 1 week ago
- RT @PaulGNance: @usageguides "Dear Pedants: Your Fave Grammar Rule is Probably Fake" daily.jstor.org/grammar-rule-i… 1 week ago
- Bryson in Hungary and China: wp.me/p1PkG7-2dC 1 week ago