If you wondered what happened to the 5th Usage Poll, with items 21 to 25 from Mittins et al. (1970): it hasn’t been up yet. We are temporarily skipping these items because Ingrid Tieken needs input for a paper she is planning to present at the SENSE symposium on 27 January (see under News for more information).
Tagsain't Americanisms apostrophe attitudes attitudes to usage BBC Bryan Garner call for papers corpus could of database David Crystal education English usage facebook flat adverbs fowler grammar Henry Fowler humour ICEHL Jane Austen John Honey Kingsley Amis less/fewer like lowth lucl Lynne Truss oed OUP prescriptivism Prescriptivism conference punctuation spelling split infinitive survey technology The Language Trap try and University of Leiden usage usage guides usage poll usage problems
- On our blog: the both of you ow.ly/ljwJ6 16 hours ago
- The abstract booklet for the upcoming workshop Attitudes to Prescriptivism is available for downloading! ow.ly/ljwCb #A2P 16 hours ago
- Back in the UK: grammar tests! #grammar bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/2013/05/17/new… 6 days ago
- Koffie's or koffies? #Dutch #plural bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/2013/05/15/kof… 6 days ago
- Please remember to check out... or don't forget to check out? #usageproblems bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/2013/05/14/ple… 6 days ago