Today, we received Paul Nance’s generous gift of his copy of Live and Learn: we’re very grateful to you for this, Paul!
Yesterday, Ingrid Tieken was given two boxes of books from a colleague whose (English) father had recently died and who had shown a great interest in the English language all through his life. The boxes contained the following items that are relevant for our work:
Here is a list of usage guides that were donated (or in some cases lent to us) earlier:
- Sir Ernest Gowers, Plain Words. A Guide to the Use of English (2014), revised and updated by Rebecca Gowers. London: Particular Books (Penguin) (presentation copy from the author).
- Caroline Taggart’s Her Ladyship’s Guide to the Queen’s English (2010) was donated by the author
- Charles Warrell’s I’ll Teach you English: Learn Your Own Language the Warrell Way, donated by Wim Tigges
- the third edition of Garner’s Modern American Usage (2009), presented to us by Matthijs Smits
- Fowler’s Modern English Usage (1937) donated by Katinka Zeven
- anon., A Dictionary of Daily Blunders. London: Whittaker & Co (1880) lent to us by Kate Wild
- anon. Many Mistakes Mended. New York: N. Tibbals & Sons (1886) lent to us by Kate Wild