Lynne Truss’s Eats Shoots and Leaves (2003) deals with punctuation, while Fowler’s Modern English Usage (1926 and later editions) deals with grammar and lexis. Do we find usage guides in fairly equal numbers for all linguistic fields, spelling, punctuation, grammar, pronunciation? Have there perhaps been any changes in focus in this respect over the years?
- Just out: another paper on Lowth robertlowth.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/jus… 3 days ago
- Strunk & White in our very own NRC-Handelsblad! @piadejong goo.gl/xZIlm1 5 days ago
- Fingers crossed, please! HUGE running for the 2016 Nederlandse Dataprijs bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/2016/07/19/fin… 6 days ago
- From the blog: Heffer's Simply English "Basically ... rather good" goo.gl/Kj4aiP 1 week ago
- In our latest post: What do Frank Sinatra and prescriptivism have in common? goo.gl/v3H8sr 1 week ago