Lynne Truss’s Eats Shoots and Leaves (2003) deals with punctuation, while Fowler’s Modern English Usage (1926 and later editions) deals with grammar and lexis. Do we find usage guides in fairly equal numbers for all linguistic fields, spelling, punctuation, grammar, pronunciation? Have there perhaps been any changes in focus in this respect over the years?
- RT @f_moncomble: 2 undergrads of mine are conducting a survey on gender-neutral pronouns in English. Resps &/or RTs much appreciated! https… 1 week ago
- Congratulations, Paul Brians! bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/2017/02/28/con… 3 weeks ago
- Can someone perhaps help us get in touch with Angela Burt, the author of The A to Z of Correct English? bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/2017/02/24/ang… 3 weeks ago
- Our closing symposium mentioned in The Pedant @OliverKamm & why it's okay to split infinitives goo.gl/KTAFoA 2 months ago
- A Christmas wish goo.gl/gom6js 3 months ago