Lynne Truss’s Eats Shoots and Leaves (2003) deals with punctuation, while Fowler’s Modern English Usage (1926 and later editions) deals with grammar and lexis. Do we find usage guides in fairly equal numbers for all linguistic fields, spelling, punctuation, grammar, pronunciation? Have there perhaps been any changes in focus in this respect over the years?
- Lowth in the OED robertlowth.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/low… 1 week ago
- New from the blog: P.G. Wodehouse, what? goo.gl/Oi8KgC 2 weeks ago
- New from the blog: Dahlesque got in, so how about Fowleresque? goo.gl/OHHpgd 3 weeks ago
- New from the blog: 500 Mistakes of Daily Occurrence online bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/?p=9392 1 month ago
- Proceedings from the Leiden Prescriptivism Conference soon out: Prescription and Tradition in Language. goo.gl/si06Al 1 month ago