I’ve just finished going through the list of usage guide writers in HUGE, and there are several, in addition to Sayce and Batko, that I just haven’t been able to find any information on. The sources I tried are the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, the American National Biography Online, Wikipedia and WorldCat, as well as the prefaces to their books, but no luck! Perhaps readers of the blog can help? If you know more about the authors below, please leave a comment.
Here is the list:
- Margaret Nicholson, Dictionary of American English Usage (1957)
- John Bailie and Moyna Kitchin, The Essential Guide to English Usage (1979)
- Sarah Marriott and Barry Farrell, Chambers Common Errors in English (1992)
- Kenneth Wilson, Columbia Guide to Standard American English (1993)
- Godfrey Howard, The Good English Guide (1993)
- Martin Cutts, The Plain English Guide (1995)
- Anne Stilman, Grammatically Correct (1997)
- Angela Burt, The A to Z of Correct English (2000)
But … if you don’t know any of these authors, perhaps you know their books? Have you ever consulted any of them? Please let us know if you have.