How sad to come across his obituary in Church Times: Harry Blamires (1916-2017), who we once referred to on this blog as our oldest living usage guide writer, died on 21 November last year. The obituary lists his many achievements, and sums up what he will be remembered for. But for us he will be remembered as the author of The Queen’s English: The Essential Companion to Written English, published in 1994 and included in our HUGE database of usage guides and usage problems.
- Lowth at New College,@Oxford robertlowth.wordpress.com/2021/05/04/low… 3 months ago
- Lowth on the cover robertlowth.wordpress.com/2020/12/30/low… 7 months ago
- Letters by Lowth auctioned at Sotheby robertlowth.wordpress.com/2020/12/09/let… 7 months ago
- Congrats Dr Beau from #cl2017bham @beauspeakswell https://t.co/PV6a73pZbs 4 years ago
- Discourse marker "like" and the joys of serendipity bridgingtheunbridgeable.com/2017/06/16/dis… 4 years ago